A Guest Blog Post from CeCe Todd of CeCe Designs
As a wedding and event floral designer, it is no secret that I LOVE flowers. While I realize that not every bride loves flowers as much as I do, there’s no denying that florals play a vital role in the look and feel of most wedding days. Today, we are going to explore the top five things we wish you knew before deciding on the flowers and decor for your special day.
- Creating gorgeous floral arrangements takes work. So often, we hear things like, “my mom’s friend is going to do them,” or, “I have a friend that is so creative, so she is going to handle most of the decor for me.” I am sure that your mom’s friend is sweet and talented, and I am confident that your friend is creative, but that does NOT mean that you should trust them to handle your wedding day arrangements. Arranging flowers for one centerpiece or hosting a bridal luncheon does not compare to the amount of planning and skill that goes into creating beautiful wedding day decor.
- Wedding flowers are expensive: An entire team of people works on creating the design for your wedding, including days of preparation, processing your flowers, and building the arrangements. That’s all BEFORE the day of your wedding, where multiple hours of work go into creating the look that you have dreamed about your entire life. This is highly skilled labor and doesn’t come cheap, nor would you want it to! We source the freshest flowers straight from the growers to ensure the highest quality product, but again, this is not cheap. Your wedding day is one that you will remember for the rest of your life, and you want to ensure that the pictures from your wedding reflect the love and care you feel for your spouse.
- Pinterest should be used for inspiration, but not final expectations: So many of the things you see on Pinterest have been created with little- to-no regard for budget. The grandest designs and most pinned wedding flowers are often from weddings with floral budgets exceeding six figures… that’s right, over $100k on flowers alone! Please don’t expect your wedding day flowers to look like a viral Pinterest post when your budget won’t allow for us to create those designs for you. Pinterest is great for communicating color palettes, design elements you like and don’t like, and for showing styles of flowers you dream of, but please don’t allow Pinterest to dictate your entire vision if you are working within a reasonable budget.
- Flowers will be a significant portion of your total wedding budget: We like to say that even if you don’t like flowers at all, you will likely spend 10% of your total wedding budget on them for basic flowers you see at any wedding. If you like flowers, then you will spend 15% of your budget on florals, and if wedding flowers are one of your Top 3 priorities, then you will spend 20% of your total budget. In Birmingham, Alabama, the average wedding now costs about $30k. Therefore, you can expect to spend somewhere between $3,000-$6,000 on wedding flowers IF you plan to have the average wedding. Most of our brides spend significantly more than this to get the Southern wedding that they have always dreamed about.
5. Hire a wedding planner: Wedding planners are one of the most important investments you can make in your wedding. They will help guide you through the process, set realistic expectations and budgets for all the aspects of your special day, recommend professionals to create your wedding day dream, and reduce the stress associated with the planning process. We highly recommend Ashley with Magnolia Vine Events because we have worked together to create beautiful weddings of all styles and budgets together. Your day will run so much smoother with a professional leading your team. When your team is dedicated to creating your vision, then you get to sit back and enjoy all the day has to offer!