This month has been all about the know how’s so I thought it would be SUPER important to share how one gets their marriage license in Birmingham, Alabama & Tuscaloosa, Alabama. First, if you are not in our immediate area, you should check all the details with your local court house.

In Jefferson County, here are the requirements: 

  • Parties aged 16-17 must provide a certified copy of their birth certificate and be accompanied by both parents. Both parents must provide a photo I.D. If one or both parents are deceased, proper evidence of such must be provided.
  • Parties aged 18 years + must provide a valid government issued photo I.D. i.e. Driver’s license, Non-Driver’s license, Passport.
  • The filing fee is $84.50. Payment types accepted are cash, credit and debit cards. No checks are accepted.
  • There is no blood test required to obtain a marriage license. Once the license has been issued keep in mind the following:
    • A marriage license issued in Jefferson County is valid only in the State of Alabama.
    • The license expires in thirty (30) days from the issuance date.
    • You must give the license to the person performing the marriage ceremony. The person performing the ceremony will complete the relevant portion of the license and return it to the office of the Judge of Probate in a self-addressed envelope provided with the license.
    • Probate Court personnel will record your marriage license and mail you a marriage certificate (certified copy) in the envelope that you will address when you apply for the license. We will also mail the license to Montgomery after our records are completed.
    • Please check the marriage license very carefully for errors. After the license has been forwarded to Montgomery, you must have court action to make any corrections.
    • A spouse can use the certified copy of the license you will receive from us to have their name changed on the driver’s license, social security card and other records.
    • Ceremonies can be performed at the Birmingham courthouse by an on-site minister and by the Probate Judge in the Bessemer Courthouse by appointment. The on-site ministers in Birmingham are not Jefferson County employees, and maintain their own schedules. Arrangements between parties being married and the ministers are a private matter and do not involve Jefferson County.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is you must be married within 30 days of receiving your license or it will not be valid. Give some buffer days after your wedding for mailing of the license as well.

In Shelby County, here are the requirements:

A marriage license may be obtained from any county in the State of Alabama (regardless of where you live or where you are getting married), and may be used to be married in any county within Alabama. The certified marriage certificate received from the court will be the required documentation to make the appropriate changes to Social Security, driver’s license, insurance and other records. To purchase a marriage license in Shelby County, please come to:

  • Judge of Probate Office
  • Shelby County Courthouse
  • 112 N. Main St.
  • Columbiana, AL 35051

Requirements / Regulations

  • Both parties must appear in person and fulfill the following requirements.
  • Minor parties 16 to 17 years old must call the Probate Office at (205) 669-3710 for detailed information on what will be required to obtain a marriage license.
  • Parties that are 18 years and older must provide a valid government issued photo I.D., a driver’s license, non-drivers license, or passport.
  • The fee is $75. This office will accept cash or checks for payment. If paying with cash, we prefer the correct amount, if possible. The Probate Office is now also accepting credit cards as payment with an additional 3.5% convenience fee included.
  • Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. We respectfully request that the parties arrive no later than 4:00 pm to allow time for all parties to complete the appropriate paperwork.
  • If either party has been divorced and the divorce occurred more than 90 days from the date the marriage license is issued, the divorce decree will not be required. You will need to be able to provide the month and year of the most recent divorce.
  • If the divorce occurred less than 90 days from the date the marriage license is issued, please call the office for further details on what will be required.
  • You must be married within 30 days from the issuance date of the marriage license.
  • Please check the marriage license very carefully for errors. Once the license has been filed, you must have court action to make any corrections. There is a fee paid for by the bride and groom to petition the court to make changes on a marriage record.
  • An ordained or licensed minister or judge must perform the marriage ceremony. They will complete the relevant portion of the license and return it to the marriage license clerk in the self-addressed envelope provided by the court at the time of purchase.
  • Upon receipt of the completed Marriage License, the marriage license clerk will mail a certified certificate of marriage to the bride and groom.

It does cost a little less in Shelby County but there are fees for using a card for payment.

In Tuscaloosa Country here are the requirements:

  1. You must be at least 18 years old
  2. If you are under the age of 18, both parents must come in and sign the application, as well as a Marriage Bond. We have to see the parent’s driver’s license and the minors certified birth certificate issued from the Health Department in the last thirty days.
    1. Driver’s License; State issued Non-driver’s license or a passport for identification.
    2. Social Security cards are required if you have a social security number. Beginning August 1, 2014 the Social Security Administration will no longer provide Social Security number printouts. If you need a replacement card, complete an application and provide Social Security with the original, required documentation. Take or mail those documents to your local Social Security office or card center. For additional information, please visit or call toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213.
    3. If you do not have a social security number, a notarized affidavit attesting to the fact that you were never issued and/or have never had a social security number must be submitted at the time you purchase your marriage license.
    4. Divorce decrees, if either party has been divorced or death certificate if spouse is deceased.
    5. $74.00 CASH for the license.
  4. Blood tests are not required!
  5. Marriage license are valid for 30 days in the State of Alabama.That means once the license is issued, you must get married within thirty days. You may purchase your license in any county in Alabama, it is not required that you buy it in the county where you are to be married.
  6. When applying for a marriage license Office Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30.

As you can seen, in most counties, the requirements are similar but costs may vary. Again be sure you get your license within 30 days of your wedding to be sure it is valid with the state. Mark this date in your calendars, and make a breakfast or lunch date out of it with your fiance!

Contact us today to help plan your wedding! We are available in Birmingham, Alabama & beyond!


(Click this image to save it to Pinterest!)